Beginner Puppeteer Workshop for Adults
Learn the basic techniques that bring Muppet-style puppet characters to life in an interactive workshop led by Brett Hansen.
Larrikin Puppets runs beginner workshop programs for adults. No previous puppetry experience needed. Students will get a chance to practice puppetry techniques using real puppets.
This is a beginner level class. No previous puppetry experience is required.
Here are some of the different options for workshops:
45 Minutes – 1 Hour Puppetry Workshop:
Location: We visit your venue (theatre, hall, school, studio, dance school).
$500 (eg. Libraries, Theatres).
$600 (eg. Public Festivals, Shopping Centres, Corporate).
Minimum 5 students. Better value to have 10 or more. 30-40 is the ideal class number.
Inclusions in the shorter puppeteer workshops:
– Introduction / Different types of puppetry.
– 10 minute puppet show demonstration.
– Show and Tell – How the different puppets work.
– Practical Workshop, teaching; Lip sync, Eye focus, Puppets talking to each other and to humans, Walking and running the puppets, Arm movements (waving, scratching, covering mouth, high fives, etc.), Emotions/Gestures without dialogue, Emotions/Gestures with dialogue, Assistant puppetry for arms, Assistant puppetry for right hand of ‘live hands’ puppets, Dancing to rhythms while lip syncing to vocals.
– Opportunity to perform and demonstrate to the class.
– Time allowance for travel to and from, set-up and pack-up of the puppet stage, props, puppets, sound equipment and camera/monitor equipment.
Two Hour workshop includes additional:
– Introduction to Jim Henson-style monitor puppetry for film/TV/YouTube.
1 Day Workshop:
$60 per student.
10am – 3pm (5 hours).
With 30 minute lunch break 12:00 – 12:30pm.
15 minute afternoon tea break 1:45 – 2:00pm.
BYO lunch and afternoon tea. Cost doesn’t factor in meals being provided.
Performance puppetry for live theatre.
Minimum 5 students.
If 5-10 students, Brett will teach only.
If over 10 students, Elissa will assist.
2 Day Workshop:
$135 per student for a 2 day workshop.
Day 1: 10am – 4pm (6 hours)
Day 2: 10am – 3pm (5 hours)
Total 11 hours.
With 30 minute lunch break each day.
15 minute afternoon tea break each day.
Lunch is provided both days.
Day 1: Performance puppetry for live theatre.
Day 2: Monitor puppetry for film & TV.
Minimum 5 students.
Your teachers – Brett Hansen and Elissa Jenkins.
In this course we will be covering:
– Basic puppetry skills – Exploring range of movements from puppet and puppeteer, stance, eye focus, lip sync, breathing, puppet vibrato, walking, hearing and rod manipulation.
– Proper entrances, proper height, left and right handed skills, moderate arm rod manipulation (one arm, two arms), puppet assisting (two puppeteers working one puppet).
– Character building, Voice acting and Working with scripts.
– Character building on the spot – Improvised scenes.
– Television monitor technique (as used in Sesame Street & The Muppets) – Only for the two day workshops.
– Working with human actors (puppet/actor interactions).
Why learn puppetry?
Make people laugh
Learn the skill behind the magic of Sesame Street and The Muppets
Expand your drama/theatre portfolio